Let’s be blunt, happiness and wellness among employees are the keys to a successful business. Keeping your workers healthy, refining brand image, and decreasing employee turnover are just some of the many reasons to emphasize quality of life at the workplace.
Fortunately, sports can be a solution. Companies can strategically integrate sport to work to encourage employees to live healthier lives. But that’s not all; sports can be beneficial in various ways, which is what this article is all about.
A Great Way to Cool Down After a Busy Day
It’s not surprising to know that most adults spend a lot of their time at work. But what’s alarming is that many people are spending more time at work than ever before.
However, companies are not to blame. Many employees are naturally workaholics, so much so that they would rather work than have fun with friends and family. And this is why organizations need to start integrating sports into the workplace to help employees stay physically active.
According to research, workplace physical activities can enhance the enthusiasm and mood of employees, resulting in increased productivity and better company output. That said, here’s how beneficial sports can be in workplaces.
Building deeper relationships and personal bonds.
Camaraderie is a vital component in businesses as it promotes a healthy environment for everyone in the workplace. Playing sports is an excellent way to break down barriers and create a sense of belonging among employees. Plus, it boosts communication and teamwork, helping them to build trust towards one another.
For instance, Google encourages its employees to play sports by having gymnasiums, volleyball nets, and an on-site fitness center. Thus, helping their employees keep track of their health and fitness despite their busy lives at work.
Promoting friendly competition and challenging employees to do their best.
If you want your employees to bring out the best in them, it is ideal for encouraging them to play sports. In most cases, workplace sport can be a powerful tool to motivate employees to challenge themselves and go beyond their limits.
On the other hand, business owners need to consider managing the competition positively and constructively to boost collaboration and teamwork. For example, distribute sports headbands to all volleyball players before the game begins. It will show them that their participation is highly appreciated, making them more eager to win.
A unique way to celebrate special events or company success.
Sports can also be a fun activity to celebrate company milestones. Instead of treating employees to another day at the bar where they can get drunk, why not consider organizing a sports event? Apart from being a healthier choice for everyone, sports can also help your team grow closer together through a unique experience.
Make the experience more memorable for all employees by taking your employees somewhere rare, like skiing or water rafting. They will surely remember these moments even though they are no longer your employees in the future.
The Benefits of Team Sports in Workplace
Whether it’s a simple chess game or a yoga class, such activities can benefit all participants. Through sports, employees can:
- Promote team bonding and discipline. The good news is that sports can be a platform to build team bonding and boost discipline. Sports help employees get out of their comfort zone by eliminating work pressure in a fun way.
- Improving skills. Sports can also enhance specific skills. For instance, sports’ that require teams can improve the communication and management skills of each player.
- Boosting employee engagement. Some employees are too timid to approach others. And talking to people can be pretty challenging to them as well. But through sports, they can overcome this weakness and build friendly relationships with their colleagues.
- Achieving health goals. Most of the time, employees are too busy to make time for their fitness and health goals. As a result, their health becomes compromised. Work sports events can help them stay on track to achieve their health goals despite their busy schedules.
- Learning to accept failures. In sports, there are winners, and there are losers. By playing, employees will learn to accept defeat with grace, which is a vital employee attitude.
- De-stressing from work. Work can be stressful at most times. And we cannot deny the fact that it’s also the reason why workers tend to perform poorly. Give your employees the chance to de-stress by playing sports. You will see significant improvements in their performance when they start to reduce work stress.
In general, sports is an excellent way to form bonds and friendships. It’s particularly essential in workplaces to improve employee engagement and help them reduce stress.